7 Jun, 2016
Maropost Marketing Cloud — the fastest growing provider of email and digital services in North America — is pleased to share its client success story with Digital Romance (www.digitalromanceinc.com), an online publisher established give you solutions to the entire range of relationship problems that people have been experiencing for… well, for as long as people have had relationships.
Mike Halekakis, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Marketing Director for Digital Romance, reflected on the value that email — and their relationship with Maropost — has on Digital Romance’s business.
“Email is incredibly important to Digital Romance. As a digital publisher, email provides a critical link between our readers and our content. Email represents a significant portion of our overall company revenue,” Halekakis said.
Digital Romance understands that people are already using texts, social media, websites, apps, and e-mail to communicate — Digital Romance just shows people how to use those tools better. From reigniting the “spark” in a relationship, to working through a breakup, to landing that “special someone” that you’ve got your eye on, Digital Romance has a constantly expanding library of products to teach people how to optimize your romantic life for the information age. This commitment to relationships also drove the choice to move Digital Romance’s email program to Maropost.
“Maropost really nailed the sales process. It was highly personal and focused on how we can actually solve our issues,” said Halekakis. That personal approach continues to this day. Halekakis adds “Maropost has a very proactive deliverability team — they have done a great job at helping us to improve our deliverability.”
When asked about specific features he enjoys about Maropost, Halekakis said “The user-centric design. It doesn’t feel complex, even though the system is very powerful. The system has elegant APIs that are very straightforward to work with. Plus, in-app chat lets me solve 90% of my issues right away — the other 10% is handled very quickly via email. That level of support is super valuable.”
Halekakis summarizes his Maropost experience by stating that “Maropost has helped me to increase revenues by providing flexibility and a sophisticated platform.”
Ross Andrew, CEO of Maropost added his thoughts on the partnership between Maropost and Digital Romance.
“We love having Digital Romance as a client. They are committed to using both email and the Maropost Marketing Cloud platform as they were intended — to drive interesting, personalized and engaging content to their subscribers. It’s clients like Digital Romance who help us push to make the Maropost Marketing Cloud the best choice for marketers who really care about engaging their customers.”